Students at Burroughs Elementary School, 551 South Richardson Ave., are happy to be back in their home school, which has been renovated for 21st century learning.
On Monday, Sept. 28 at 6:30 p.m., Columbus City Schools is celebrating the rededication of the historic Burroughs Elementary School. This building, originally built in 1921, has been renovated and rewired with state-of-the-art technology as well as environmentally friendly and safety features. This is part of the second segment of the Facilities Master Plan, which has been financed through passage of a 2002 bond issue.
Columbus City Schools Superintendent and CEO, Dr. Gene T. Harris, Board President Carol Perkins, Principal Steven Holland and student performers will be in attendance.
Burroughs students attended the Clearfield Elementary school building the past two years while their building was remodeled.
In 2001, the Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) assessed every Columbus school and determined all schools needed to be modernized. The seven-segment Facilities Master Plan (FMP) provides a working blueprint for this process.
According to the district’s Web site, 34 district schools in Segments one and two of the FMP have, or will have been replaced or renovated by December 2009.
These schools serve an estimated 17,000 students, which was the district’s initial projection in 2002, when Columbus voters passed the original $392 million bond issue.
Since 2002, the district has closed 21 schools due to demographic shifts and declining enrollment and replaced roofs and boilers at 42 schools so these buildings can be occupied until they are replaced or renovated.