|Edward Livingston received a land grant of 1,280 acres east of Alum Creek that became known as the Livingston Refugee Road area. This acreage was in payment for Edward's service in the Revolutionary War. His original home was a log house on what is now College Avenue. Here he and his wife raised their family. Their daughter Martha, born in 1845, attended Granville University and was the first teacher at the Country School built in 1864. This school was on the northwest corner of College and Livingston avenues.